On the 20th of September
the third annual PhD Day will be held. On this day, organized for
all PhD students
from the University, we present to you an inspirational program stuffed
with speakers from various academic disciplines, workshops
, and a large company fair
all framed within the day’s theme „Besides and Beyond your PhD”. The day will
be topped off with a dinner, improv theatre entertainment and a party!
Participate and win
The day is jointly organized by GOPHER and the Graduate Schools and by participating,
you earn 1 ECTS!
SIGN UP HERE
The lectures are divided over five sessions: Groningen Inspires, Industry, Academia,
Government, and Besides and Beyond your PhD. The lectures are meant to inspire and help
you with the choices you have yet to make in your future career. The speakers focus on
aspects like decision making, planning, benefits of having a PhD, important skills; all within
the framework of their own background.
Confirmed speakers are:
- Prof.Dr. Jos Arts: Professor of Environmental and Infrastructure Planning, and
strategic advisor infrastructure and environment, Rijkswaterstaat (Ministry of
Transport, Public Works and Water Management) (Government);
- Prof.Dr. Bart Noordam: Professor at the UvA Science Faculty, author of the book
“Mastering your PhD” (Academia);
- Dr. Ton Vries: Chief Executive Officer at Syncom BV, a contract research company in
organic chemistry, part of the Healthy Ageing Campus (Industry);
- Dr. Wim Dokter: Vice President Preclinical at Synthon Biopharmaceuticals (Industry);
- Dr. Remko Kuipers: Pharmacist, physician, PhD, and author of the popular book “Het
Oerdieet” (on the paleolithic diet) (Groningen Inspires);
- Hermen Visser MSc: Science journalist and owner of Visservis, a company specialized
in scientific communication (Besides and Beyond your PhD).
Various workshops will be held throughout the day, divided over three themes:
Transferrable skills, Company cases,
and Printing your thesis.
We have attracted Healthy Ageing Campus
as our Main sponsor. The rest of the sponsors
are divided in three groups. Pink Premium, Blue Basic and Yellow visibility.
- Pink Premium: Eerst de Klas (onderwijs traineeship), l’Oreàl, Synthon
- Blue Basic: ASML, Astra Zeneca, Corbion Purac, Novartis, Ridderprint, Sanquin, Netzodruk
- Yellow Visibility: GlaxoSmithKline, Shell
Most of these companies will be present on the company fair! Come and have a talk with
them to broaden your horizon and meet potential future employers. All sponsors have a
company profile on the PhD Day website and some of them are looking for ambitious PhD’s.
A new possibility this year is to sign up for a speed date with a company of your interest. For
this you have to sign up in advance!
PARTICIPATION PRIZES (LOTTERY)
We will offer prizes for participation. You will receive 1 lottery ticket for participation
in the day and the more you participate, the more tickets you receive.
You can obtain more tickets by participating in speed dates (1 ticket per speed date)
and talking to companies on the company fair (1 ticket for a good conversation with a company, discretion of the companies).
By participating actively
, you will thus increase your chances
labor market as well as at our lottery. In our lottery we will be giving away the following prizes and perhaps more:
- €300,- Voucher for printing your thesis (Netzodruk)
- €300,- Voucher for a suit (Suitsupply)
- iPad Mini
- RUG Presenter + Businesscard holder
- L’Oréal gift package
- Two free tickets with 2 drinks for a performance of choice at the Usva
There will be bins for each prize in which you can deposit half of your ticket.
You can thus decide what you want to aim for. You will keep the other half of the
ticket to be able to claim the prize. The bins will be transparent, so you can
estimate your odds. The lottery will take place during the drinks at the company
fair at the end of the day. You have to be there to collect the prize. The organizing
committee is excluded from participation.
The PhD Day would not be the PhD Day if it would not end with a spectacular party in the
evening, where you can enjoy the company of your fellow PhDs, good food, cold drinks,
entertainment (t.b.a.) and of course music! During registration for the PhD Day you can tick
the box to secure your ticket to the party (participation fee is 10 EUR, diner and the first few
drinks are included). Keep track of our website as more information on the party will follow.
Websites of previous editions